Decoupage is a craft method of affixing paper designs to a hard surface area with adhesive. By taking a look at a finished project, you would think this craft strategy would certainly be complicated, yet it isn’t. Decoupage started in France in the 17th century as the pauper’s choice to painted furnishings. It is actually fairly easy. If you can reduce and paste, you currently know most of the strategies entailed.
To begin with decoupage, you removed photos and adhesive them onto an item. The following step is to cover the things as well as pictures with a few coats of glue or decoupage tool to protect it. You possibly have everything you require to make your task lying around your home today. Gather your supplies and also begin crafting.
Decoupage tool is an all-in-one sealant, adhesive, and finish utilized for creating decoupaged works of art. Utilize it on wood, material and various other permeable surfaces. It dries clear and holds your glued-on paper cuts limited.
Supplies You Need
Similar to any craft project you make, you need to always read the guidelines initially. Make a checklist of materials that you need to purchase, although you might currently have numerous of the products already in your house.
– Determine what object you want to decorate with decoupage. You can add pictures to almost anything: furnishings, image albums, shelving, structures, boxes, flower holders, mirrors, hardbound publications, trays, travel suitcases, recipes, candle lights, containers, bottles, egg cartons, rocks, and much more.
– Find a photo source. The choices are unlimited: cut out images, concepts, or shapes from wrapping paper, wallpaper, fabric, paper napkins, welcoming cards, postcards, photographs, traveling sales brochures, handbills, programs, garden seed bundles, web pages from old publications, foil-covered paper, paper doilies, bow, posters, dried out flowers, tissue paper, as well as a lot more. You can additionally buy paper as well as pictures made particularly for decoupage. You can photocopy clip art, pictures, stories, rhymes, as well as various other products printed from your computer system, with unique factors to consider for images published using an inkjet printer.
– Choose what decoupage tool to use. You can purchase a product made especially for decoupaging, such as Mod Podge or Collection Pauge. You should contend the very least among those in your craft cabinet, however in a pinch, somewhat thinned down white adhesive will do.
The things over are the crucial products you need, but there are a couple of various other products you might locate handy to use in your decoupage journey:
– Bone folder: You can utilize this to help ravel wrinkles and get rid of excess glue. You can also buy a tool made particularly for this, called a brayer.
– Foam brush: Utilize this to spread the decoupage tool or adhesive onto the product you will certainly decoupage. If you do not have a foam brush, you can utilize a normal paintbrush or even a cotton bud.
– Scissors: Make use of to cut out the pictures and also various other things you will certainly be decoupaging. To aid with reducing decorative paper with a lot of small details, you might want to make use of scissors with smalls blades or an energy knife.
– Tweezers: Tweezers are in some cases a wonderful aid when it pertains to placing small photos.
– Moist rag: Maintain one close-by to clean up excess adhesive and also to assist with other clean up. Make certain the cloth perspires as well as not saturating damp when utilizing it to eliminate excess decoupage tool from your glued documents. A damp rag also assists to maintain your hands tidy while working with adhesive.
Starting With Your Project
As soon as you have actually collected all of your products, you can begin on your job by complying with along with these very easy directions.
Make certain the thing you’re decoupaging is clean, removing any type of dust or dust. It needs to likewise be dry. If you’re mosting likely to repaint your thing initially, the paint needs to be entirely dry prior to you start decoupaging (no tackiness). This example used spray paint with an added-in primer to paint a wood tray. Make sure the paint you use is appropriate for the things you mean to decoupage.
Remove the pictures you are going to use. It aids to utilize an X-Acto knife to remove the paper items that have a fair bit of intricate information.
Prior to you add glue, arrange the pictures onto the product you are decoupaging until you like the method they look. The pictures can be in any type of placement you such as and can also overlap.
Operating in a little section each time, eliminate the pictures as well as use a generous layer of decoupage medium onto the product you are decoupaging. Make sure you totally cover any kind of location the picture will touch. If you choose, you can spread out the medium onto the back of the picture.
Stick the picture on the decoupage medium. Utilize your finger to gently push down the picture (for a big image, start from the center and also work your escape) and also push out any type of creases as well as excess medium. You can additionally utilize a bone folder or brayer to do this.
Continue with the last 2 actions until all of your photos are glued on.
Let the decoupage tool dry. If you are using photos on thicker paper, such as photos or greeting cards, they can take longer to dry.
Expect bubbles as your pictures dry. If one forms, make use of a pin or utility blade to pop it and afterwards use your fingers to smooth it down.
As soon as the medium is completely dry, coat your product thoroughly with another layer of the decoupage medium. Let this dry.
Remain to include coats of the tool until you obtain the desired outcomes. You will certainly intend to maintain including layers until the sides of the pictures are all smooth.
Let your task dry totally before it’s ready to utilize, present, or be handed out as a present.
If you use inkjet-printed material on your jobs, allow the ink dry, after that spray it with hairspray. It sets the ink and then you can utilize the print. See to it both are totally dry prior to applying your medium.
– Make copies of photos and other original papers to utilize in decoupage so you can save the original. You can additionally take a picture of them with your phone and after that print it.
– Tear your pictures as opposed to cutting them. Torn edges lay a little flatter and also blend a little bit much better.
– Take a picture to bear in mind the positioning of your paper items. It’s simple to fail to remember once you remove them as well as begin decoupaging.
– When decoupaging on plastic, experiment prior to you commit. For rougher surfaces, the pictures should adhere yet will certainly take a bit longer to dry. If the surface area is extremely smooth, take into consideration roughing it up with a little sandpaper.